Professor and Department Chair
By appointment only
Ph.D. Japanese, Stanford University, 1999
M.A. Japanese, Stanford University, 1994
B.A. English, Stanford University, 1990
Current Research Projects:
The poetry of Zekkai Chūshin (1336-1405).
- Paul S. Atkins. Teika: The Life and Works of a Medieval Japanese Poet. University of Hawai'i Press, 2017.
- Paul S. Atkins. “The Word Monosugoshi and Changing Perceptions of Nature in Medieval Japan.” Japanese Language and Literature 47:2 (October, 2013), pp. 159-92. Download PDF (367.21 KB)
- Paul S. Atkins. "Depictions of the Kawara-no-in in Medieval Japanese Noh Drama." Asian Theatre Journal 27:1 (2010).
- Paul S. Atkins. "Meigetsuki, the Diary of Fujiwara no Teika: Karoku 2.9 (1226)." Journal of the American Oriental Society 130:2 (2010): 235-58.
- Paul S. Atkins. "Chigo in the Medieval Japanese Imagination." The Journal of Asian Studies 67:3 (2008): 947-970.
- Paul S. Atkins. "Nijō v. Reizei: Land Rights, Litigation, and Literary Authority in Medieval Japan." Harvard Journal of Asiatic Studies 66:2 (2006): 495-529.
- Paul S. Atkins. Revealed Identity: The Noh Plays of Komparu Zenchiku. University of Michigan Center for Japanese Studies, 2006.
- Washin Kai Lecture: "Friends from a World Unseen: Fujiwara no Teika and Medieval Poetry" - November 1, 2018
- Professor Atkins interviewed by the North American Post - October 15, 2018
- 2018 Andrew L Markus Memorial Lecture: "The Appropriation of Tang Poetry in Later Chinese Painting" - June 29, 2018
- VIDEO: Dramatic recital of The Tale of the Heike - October 31, 2017
- Dr. Reiko Yamanaka, Expert on Noh Drama, Visits University of Washington as Visiting Scholar - May 31, 2017
- Andrew L. Markus Memorial Lecture: Junko Mori on Translingual Competence and Asian Language Education - May 26, 2017
- Dept. of Asian Languages & Literature and the East Asia Library Host Second Annual Sakura-kai - March 30, 2017
- AL&L Career Panel Helps Students Put Language Skills to Work - March 13, 2017
- Paul Atkins Publishes Teika: The Life and Works of a Medieval Japanese Poet - February 8, 2017
- An Evening of Rakugo with Katsura Sunshine at the University of Washington - December 30, 2016
- Perspectives from the US and Indonesia on Religious Violence - December 15, 2016