Teaching Assistant Positions for Summer 2017 - Spring 2018
Applications for teaching assistant positions in the following languages were due on Monday, January 9, 2017.
Eligibility: All graduate students applying to, accepted by, or currently enrolled in the University of Washington are eligible to apply for teaching assistant positions. Strong preference is given to graduate students in the Department of Asian Languages and Literature.
Due Date: The deadline for Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, and Korean, is January 9, 2017. Late applications may be considered at the discretion of the Department. Students will be notified of their appointments as soon as practicable.
The following criteria will be taken into consideration in the selection of teaching assistants:
- command of spoken and written English
- academic standing (with priority given to AL&L students)
- evidence of effective teaching potential
- career plans involving teaching
- responsibility and the ability to work well with others
In addition, the following criteria will be considered for language teaching applicants:
- proficiency in the target language
- experience teaching the target language
- completion of coursework in foreign language pedagogy (e.g. ASIAN 510)
- knowledge of the grammar of the target language and the ability to explain it clearly.
English Language Requirement: By the time of appointment, students who are non-native speakers of English must demonstrate sufficient ability in English by satisfying the requirements detailed in Graduate School Memorandum No. 15.
To satisfy the requirement you must have either:
- A bachelor’s, (NOT a master’s, or doctoral degree) from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or from an institution in Australia, the Bahamas, Canada, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Singapore, Trinidad and Tobago, or the United Kingdom, OR
- have submitted to the University of Washington a currently valid TOEFL Speaking score of 26 or higher, OR a IELTS speaking score of 7.0 or higher, OR a VERSANT score of 65 or higher.
*If you do not fulfill these requirements and are a current student at UW take the VERSANT test OR the University of Washington's ENGL 105: English for International Teaching Assistants as soon as possible.
**If you do not fulfill these requirements and do not live in the Seattle area, take the TOEFL iBT as soon as possible.
***If your test scores are high enough to qualify for an appeal interview (as described in Graduate Memo 15) we will contact you to arrange an appeal interview. These can be conducted by Skype for those not currently in the Seattle area.
If you have questions about application procedures, please email the Graduate Program Adviser at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hiring: All appointments are subject to availability of funding. Department hiring will be carried out in conformity with the UW/UAW contract for Academic Student Employees.
Teaching Assistant Salary and Benefits: Teaching Assistants in the Department of Asian Languages and Literature typically receive a tuition waiver, health insurance, and a monthly salary of at least $1,846 per month during the months they are assigned to teach. Exact details of salary and benefits are listed in the offer letter.
Typical job duties include, but are not limited to:
- teaching language classes daily (usually in the morning)
- making/grading tests and homework
- keeping student records
- participating in TA meetings
- collaborating with the supervisor and other TAs
The University of Washington provides equal opportunity in education without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam era veteran in accordance with University of Washington policy and applicable federal and state statutes and regulations.
Note: All applicants must keep the office informed of their current phone number, mailing address, and e-mail address.