All applicants must submit the following:
- the Teaching Assistant Application (Google Form)
- a Cover Letter (One-Page) explaining your qualifications, addressed to the Department Chair (This should be uploaded to the above Google Form).
- Records of Past Teaching Experience (if applicable), such as course syllabi, student or supervisor evaluations, etc. If you have taught at the University of Washington before, be sure the department has copies of all of your student evaluations, IASystem (formerly CTL) evaluations, and supervisor evaluations. (These should be uploaded to the above Google Form).
- Most recent Unofficial Academic Transcript. (This should be uploaded to the above Google Form).
- One recent Letter of Recommendation from a faculty adviser, supervisor, employer, or teacher (for UW applicants who have never served as AL&L TAs). Should be sent directly to email@example.com by letter writer. Prospective students may choose a letter of recommendation from their application to use for the TA Application. Note the letter you have selected in your Teaching Assistant Application.
- the Supervisor Recommendation Form (PDF) (for applicants who are or have recently served as AL&L TAs). Please note the Letter of Recommendation / Supervisor Recommendation Form should be sent directly by the letter writer, via email or hard copy.
In addition, ALL current UW students must submit the following:
- Home Department Statement of Support Form (PDF). Please fill out and sign the top portion of the form and ask your faculty adviser to email it to the Academic Counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org with the applicant's name in the subject line. Hard copies of Home Department Statement of Support Forms are also accepted and may be sent to Box 353521.
Finally, please note the following program-specific notes:
- Korean language applicants: Applicants are required to submit a video recording URL from YouTube in their Teaching Assistant Application. Click here for instructions.
- Japanese language applicants: Any applicant who is a non-native speaker of Japanese (according to the University of Washington’s definition of native speaker, as defined here, under "English as second language") is highly recommended (although not required) to take the proctored ACTFL OPI test for non-native speakers of Japanese. Click here for more information on OPI testing. Arrange for the OPI score to be sent directly to the Academic Counselor at email@example.com.
All application materials (including Home Department Statement of Support, Supervisor Recommendation, Letter of Recommendation, etc.) MUST BE emailed to the Academic Counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org BEFORE the application deadline of January 31, 2020.
After an initial screening process, programs may in some cases additionally require an interview, in person or via Skype, with applicants under consideration. If an interview is requested, you will be contacted via the email address used in the application.
If you have questions please contact the Academic Counselor at email@example.com, phone 206-543-4997.