Select one of the following for application materials and checklists:
SPECIFICS FOR THE KOREAN TA APPLICATION
English Language Requirement: By the time of appointment, students who are non-native speakers of English must demonstrate sufficient ability in English by satisfying the requirements detailed in Graduate School Memorandum No. 15.
To satisfy the requirement you must have either:
- A bachelor’s, (NOT a master’s, or doctoral degree) from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or from an institution in Australia, the Bahamas, Canada, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Singapore, Trinidad and Tobago, or the United Kingdom, OR
- have submitted to the University of Washington a currently valid TOEFL Speaking score of 26 or higher, OR a IELTS speaking score of 7.0 or higher, OR a VERSANT score of 65 or higher.
*If you do not fulfill these requirements and are a current student at UW take the VERSANT test OR the University of Washington's ENGL 105: English for International Teaching Assistants as soon as possible.
**If you do not fulfill these requirements and do not live in the Seattle area, take the TOEFL iBT as soon as possible.
***If your test scores are high enough to qualify for an appeal interview (as described in Graduate Memo 15) we will contact you to arrange an appeal interview. These can be conducted by Skype for those not currently in the Seattle area.
VIDEO RECORDING FOR KOREAN TA APPLICANTS
Applicants to Korean TA positions are required to submit a video recording URL from YouTube with their application.
Record approximately 10-15 minutes of yourself teaching in class.
If this is not possible to produce, then:
- if you are a non-native speaker of Korean, record yourself being interviewed in Korean by a Korean native speaker;
- if you are a native speaker of Korean, record yourself being interviewed in English by an English native speaker.
Directions for Creating a YouTube Recording:
- Log into YouTube
- Create a YouTube account
- Record yourself
- Upload to YouTube
- Set the Privacy settings to "unlisted"
- Send the URL to the Academic Counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to set your YouTube Recording privacy settings to Unlisted:
Privacy Settings how to videos: