Welcome graduate students in Asian Languages & Literature!
Graduate Student Association
The AL&L Graduate Student Association is the departmental organization representing all AL&L graduate students. It participates in a number of departmental and university-wide functions, as follows:
- Departmental Representatives participate in the university Graduate and Professional Student Senate meetings.
- Student Representative attend the AL&L Departmental Faculty Meetings.
- Treasurer: The graduate student body has a specific fund with a bank account. This fund is independent from the AL&L departmental finance and is to support the graduate students in the department in the areas of conference travel, Graduate Student Colloquium, computer maintenance, and other expenses relevant to the common good of the AL&L graduate student body.
- Annual Book Sale: This is a two-day event, taking place usually in the Spring Quarter. During the Book Sale, donated new or used books related to our field of study will be sold at a low price first to our own students then to the general public. These books, including materials on non-paper media, are donated by UW faculty members, former graduates, friends, students who have just finished their degree programs, and even current students.
- Annual Graduate Student Colloquium: This is held every year typically during the Winter Quarter so as to not conflict with the Spring Quarter Book Sale. The colloquium provides graduate students the chance to share research results and collaborate with one another. It further allows the organizers to have an experience planning and carrying out an event like a professional academic conference.
- Mentorship Program: In order to foster community, cooperation and mental well-being in our department, mentorship events are held at least once yearly - usually in the winter. Mentors, students in at least their second year at UW, stay in contact with their mentees and are available to answer their questions and concerns on a more informal basis than an academic advisor or counselor.
The following resources are most applicable to current graduate students. Prospective students should consult the Graduate Programs page to learn about available programs and admissions policies.
- Graduate Student Handbook (DOCX) (PDF)
- Hows and Whys: Guidelines for the MA
- Hows and Whys: Guidelines for the PhD
- Administrative Forms for Current Graduate Students
- Procedures for Applying to Go On Leave for Current Graduate Students
Note that students should apply for leave through the Graduate School (link above) and also fill out the departmental On Leave Petition.
- Teaching Assistant Opportunities and Resources
- The complete Departmental Policies and Procedures for graduate study
- Request for Travel Funds for Graduate Students [ LINK ]
- Annual Graduate Student Review Form for Students (DOCX)