Voicing Concerns

The Department of Asian Languages and Literature aspires to create a community that is welcoming to people of all cultures, races, sexes, abilities, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, ages, religions, and economic statuses. If you have had or are having an experience within the department that does not reflect our goals of respect and inclusion, if you need support around a conflict you are having with someone in the department, or if you’d like help gaining clarity around a challenging situation, please let us know.

We recognize that different situations call for different types of support. You might be looking for a listening partner, or advice, or action. Know that no matter which path you choose you can always opt to remain anonymous. See below for details.

If you are experiencing an urgent emergency right now, call 911. For non-emergencies, call SafeCampus at 206-685-7233 any time — no matter where you work or study — to anonymously discuss safety and well-being concerns for yourself or others. SafeCampus is available 24 hours / 7 days a week. For more resources on voicing concerns, see below.

If you are not sure what to do with your concern, or if it constitutes sexual harassment, please do not hesitate to contact a Livewell Confidential Advocate. Confidential Advocates do not report incidents to the University. They provide safe places to help individuals understand their rights and options, always with the understanding that it is up to the individual to decide if they would like to report or not. You can also contact SafeCampus for support and consultation.

If you wish to report misconduct, including sexual harassment, or voice a concern about an experience or situation connected with the Department, you may contact people and resources within the Department or non-Departmental resources within the University.

Jump to:

How do I voice a concern?
(For students or faculty/staff)
How do I respond to a concern?
(For faculty/staff and everyone)
How do I make a suggestion to the department?
Non-Departmental Support Resources Other UW Resources General Health and Wellness Resources


How do I voice a concern?


If you choose to contact an AL&L faculty or staff member to voice a concern, they will:

  1. Listen.

  2. Tell you what they heard to ensure that they have it right.

  3. Ask you if you are interested in developing a plan of action, which might include involving other faculty or staff members, or other university support systems, as appropriate.

  4. Do what they said they were going to do.

  5. Let you know that they’ve done what they said they were going to do.

The faculty or staff member will also file a record of your complaint or concern with the Department, unless you ask them not to. This record can remain anonymous if you wish. If you have requested a response, you can expect one within 30 days.

If you are meeting with a member of the faculty or staff to voice a concern, you are encouraged to bring someone with you for support. If you do not have someone you feel you can ask to attend in support, you may request that the department provide a faculty or staff member to be a third person in the meeting. Please make this request when you schedule the meeting.

If you are a graduate student, please note that, in addition to all of the options described below, you may contact your graduate student representatives with any Department-related question or concern. Your grad rep can help you identify who the right person is to speak with, and may be able to act as a liaison for you with that person or people. To contact your grad reps, please see this page.

How do I voice a concern about an experience in or connected to the Department? 

1. If you feel comfortable, contact your professor (e.g. your advising professor or the professor teaching your class).

2. If you prefer not to contact your professor, or you have spoken to them but you desire further action, make an appointment with a faculty or staff member with whom you feel comfortable. Alternately, you can contact the Graduate Program Coordinator or the Chair of the Undergraduate Education Committee.

3. If you prefer not to contact a faculty member, contact the Academic Counselor.

4. You may always contact the Chair of the Department directly.

5. If you have a concern with the Chair of the Department or you have spoken to them but you desire further action, please contact the Divisional Dean for the Humanities.

6. If you prefer to speak with someone outside of the department, please consult the “Non-Departmental Support Resources” at the bottom of this document.


Faculty and staff members may also have concerns that they wish to raise. In such a case:

  1. If you feel comfortable doing so, speak with the Chair of the Department.

  2. If you prefer not to speak with the Chair, or if you have done so but desire further action, contact the Divisional Dean for the Humanities.

  3. If you prefer to speak with someone outside of the department, please utilize the following UW resources:

How do I respond to a concern?


We share a responsibility for providing a safe and inclusive environment for all members of the AL&L community. This responsibility includes helping those who come to us with a concern. Remember that the Husky Prevention and Response course is required of all UW personnel; it goes into all of these issues in great detail. Please also consult the Title IX page on how to support students and fellow UW employees.

What are my responsibilities when someone brings a concern to me?

If someone in the department tells you that they’d like to share a concern with you, you should do the following:

  1. Set an appointment with the person to discuss the concern and ask them if they would prefer to meet in person or speak via Zoom or on the telephone.
  2. Ask about whether the person wants you to report their concern and, if there is a report to be filed, if the person wants to remain anonymous. It’s also fine if they’re not sure at this point.
  3. Ask the person if they would like to bring someone else along with them to the meeting, or if they would like the Department to provide someone to be a third person in the meeting.
    • If they ask for the Department to provide someone, it is your responsibility to invite that person to the meeting. If the person raising the concern does not know who they would like that person to be, please make suggestions based on your best judgement and/or the reporting chains described in the student concerns section above.
    • Be sure to come to mutual agreement with the person raising the concern before inviting a third person to the meeting.
  4. At the meeting you should:
    • Ask whether they want this to be reported—it’s okay if they’re still not sure
    • Listen
    • Tell the person raising the concern what you heard to ensure that you have it right
    • Ask the person if they are interested in developing a plan of action, which might include involving other faculty or staff members, or other university support systems, as appropriate
    • Confirm whether they would like you to file a report about their concern with the Department, or if they would like you to file it but keep their identity anonymous
  5. After the meeting you should:
    • Do what you said you were going to do.
    • Within 24 hours (or on the next business day), file a report with the Department documenting the concern and any discussion of potential action, unless the person raising the concern has asked you not to.
    • Report back to the student that the report has been filed.

How do I get support addressing a concern, either in the moment or long-term?

You may find that you do not know the best way to address a concern. Or, a concern may help you recognize a need that you yourself have for additional training, conversation, or support. In these cases: 

  1. If you feel comfortable, speak with the Chair.

  2. If you prefer to speak with someone outside of the department, please utilize the following UW resources:


What can I do in the moment?
It can be very difficult to know how to address things as they happen. We recommend the ACTION framework for addressing microaggressions developed by Tasha Souza.


  • Ask clarifying questions to assist with understanding intentions
  • Come from curiosity not judgment
  • Tell what you observed as problematic in a factual manner
  • Impact exploration: ask for, and/or state, the potential impact of such a statement or action on others
  • Own your own thoughts and feelings around the impact
  • Next steps: Request appropriate action be taken

Additional Resources:

How do I make a suggestion to the department? 

Have a suggestion or a solution? We want to hear it! You can email any faculty or staff member, or send an email to asianll@uw.edu. We are working on an anonymous feedback form and will put the link here when it is ready.

Non-Departmental Support Resources

Beyond departmental resources, the university provides many resources for voicing concerns and gaining support around challenging situations.

Reporting sexual assault/misconduct


This website provides victims of sexual violence with important online resources that reflect the UW’s commitment to preventing and responding to sexual misconduct, including sexual assault, relationship violence, domestic violence, stalking and sexual harassment. Here you will find ways to get confidential support, how to address safety concerns, where to receive medical care and counseling and information on reporting sexual assault.

Support around safety concerns

https://www.washington.edu/safecampus/  206-685-7233

SafeCampus is the University of Washington’s violence-prevention and response program. We support students, staff, faculty and community members in preventing violence. When you contact us, a trained professional will listen in a nonjudgmental, empathetic way. We’re here to offer support and guidance when you have concerns for yourself or others. You can tell us about something that happened or share your safety concerns. You’re welcome to say as much or as little as you want to.

Collaborative and confidential consultation


The Office of the Ombud is a place where all members of the University of Washington community can seek information, consultation, and assistance. Each year, the Ombud Office collaborates with hundreds of individuals who are facing challenges. We provide a safe environment to voice concerns and develop constructive options to address the situation. Common student concerns that are brought to the Ombud include (but are not limited to) learning environment mistreatment, RA/TA appointments, disability accommodations, grade concerns, financial aid, academic misconduct, sexual harassment, and access to courses.

Formal complaints regarding, harassment, discrimination, or retaliation


The University Complaint Investigation and Resolution Office (UCIRO) investigates complaints that a University employee has violated the University’s non-discrimination and/or non-retaliation policies as set out in the university’s Executive Order 31.

Reporting system for incidences of bias


The University of Washington values and honors diverse experiences and perspectives, strives to create welcoming and respectful learning environments and promotes access and opportunity. The UW is committed to freedom of expression, and with that commitment comes the recognition that members of our community might hold and express sometimes-unpopular views. UW President Ana Mari Cauce has affirmed our steadfast commitment to these values in a blog post and comments to the campus community. If you encounter or suspect incidents of bias, you are encouraged to file a report, which will be reviewed by the UW’s Bias Incident Advisory Committee. Whenever possible, bias reports will be reviewed within two to four business days.

Support for mental health


The UW Counseling Center offers multiple options for students seeking help coping with stress and mental health concerns. Students who are currently enrolled in degree-seeking programs at the Seattle campus are eligible for our counseling services.

Legal support


Student Legal Services (SLS) is an on-campus law office that provides a safe and confidential space for all UW-Seattle and Bothell students who have legal questions or concerns. We offer free 40-minute consultations on a broad range of issues. Students can also hire us for ongoing representation for a low hourly rate.

Other UW Resources:

Arts Diversity Council


ADC is a student-run council. We are dedicated to supporting students of color interested in pursuing the arts by providing them with a safe and uplifting environment to share their concerns and create on/off-campus community engagement.

D Center


The D Center fosters a community of d/Disability and d/Deaf pride, and develops and supports social, cultural and educational programming.

Disability Resources for Students


DRS is dedicated to ensuring access and inclusion for all students with disabilities on the Seattle campus enrolled in our undergraduate, graduate, professional, Evening Degree and Access programs for over 39 years. DRS serves 2,800+ students with either temporary or permanent physical, health, learning, sensory or psychological disabilities. Students partner with our office to establish services for their access and inclusion on campus.

wǝɫǝbʔaltxʷ – Intellectual House


wǝɫǝbʔaltxʷ serves as a multi-service learning and gathering space for American Indian and Alaska Native students, faculty and staff, as well as others from various cultures and communities, to come together in a welcoming environment and share knowledge.

International Student Services


The UW is home to over 8,000 international students representing more than 100 countries. ISS staff advises international students with F-1 or J-1 visas who are enrolled in undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree programs on the Seattle campus of the University of Washington. International student advisors are here to help: provide guidance on maintaining F-1 or J-1 immigration status while attending the U, process F-1 and J-1 immigration benefits, navigate university policy and understand F-1 and J-1 visa restrictions, ensure university and student compliance with immigration policies, provide educational tools, including workshops and tutorials.

Q Center


The University of Washington Q Center facilitates and enhances a brave, affirming, liberatory, and celebratory environment for students, faculty, staff, and alumni of all sexual and gender orientations, identities, and expressions. We host and support student groups, put on regular programming events, house a lending library, and amplify student voices on our Student Blog. The Q center is located at the Husky Union Building, Room 315.

Samuel E. Kelly Ethnic Cultural Center


The Samuel E. Kelly Ethnic Cultural Center of the University of Washington is part of The Office of Minority Affairs & Diversity. The Kelly ECC has a wealth of resources and opportunities available to students including student advising, organizational development, personal growth, and referrals to different departments and programs.

Undocumented Student Resources


We are proud to be a university that wholeheartedly welcomes and supports undocumented students of all ethnicities and nationalities. We invite you to explore the services, opportunities and resources available to you throughout the various stages of your Husky Experience.

UW Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity


The UW Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity creates pathways for diverse populations to access postsecondary opportunities, nurture and support their academic success, and cultivate a campus climate that enriches the educational experience for all.

Women’s Center


The UW Alene Moris Women’s Center is a catalyst for change. We disrupt cycles of oppression and break down gender-based barriers through transformational education programs, leadership development, and advocacy for girls and womxn. We believe womxn’s rights are human rights. Programs and services are open to all students, staff, faculty and community members. 

Student-run Groups

To find student-run groups, visit the
Registered Student Organization Directory.

This page was based on a similar page developed by the School of Drama. We appreciate their hard work on this important issue and their allowing us to use and modify it as was necessary.

Updated 3.30.2022