You are here

Funding Resources for Students

Departmental Resources

Policy on UW Graduate Student Travel Funds  (PDF)

The Graduate School provides limited support for graduate students to present papers at academic conferences, symposiums and workshops. Requests for this support must be channeled through the department. Deadlines for petitioning the Graduate School for travel support vary according to the dates of the proposed travel. 

  • June 1 for travel between July 1 and August 31
  • July 1 for travel between August 1 and Sept. 30
  • Aug. 1 for travel between Sept. 1 and Oct. 31
  • Sept. 1 for travel between Oct. 1 and Nov. 30
  • Oct. 1 for travel between Nov. 1 and Dec. 31
  • Nov. 1 for travel between Dec. 1 and Jan. 31
  • Dec. 1 for travel between Jan. 1 and Feb. 28/29
  • Jan. 1 for travel between Feb. 1 and March 31
  • Feb. 1 for travel between March 1 and April 30
  • March 1 for travel between April 1 and May 31
  • April 1 for travel between May 1 and June 30
  • May 1 for travel between June 1 and July 31

Because requests have to pass through the AL&L office (where they are reviewed and approved [or not] for forwarding to the graduate school), anyone wishing to request this kind of support must submit a request to the AL&L department office at least ONE WEEK earlier than the deadline dates given above. Complete the AL&L Dept. Travel Funds Request Form and return it to the Dept. Administrator. 

Please note the following:

  1. The graduate school has a fixed amount of money for this purpose, and once the money is gone, no more requests will be funded.
  2. The graduate school maximum per request is $300,--. When necessary AL&L will try to supplement this in modest amounts to the extent department funds allow. 
  3. Travel funds are available only for graduate students who have had papers officially accepted for presentation at recognized academic or scholarly meetings.
  4. Please note that you must be currently enrolled (NOT on leave) to receive this funding.

Asian L&L Graduate Student Travel Funding (PDF)

Our graduate students have a limited amount of travel funds from the annual booksale and other donations.  Please contact the person who is taking charge of the fund. (2016-2017 Academic Year, Xi Zhu: )

General Resources

UW Graduate School: Funding Opportunities

Includes information on and links to a bibliography of funding resources, a list of funding websites, and the Grants and Funding Information Service (GFIS) in Suzzallo Library.

UW Graduate School: Calendar of Fellowship Application Deadlines

Perhaps your most direct link to information on fellowships administered through the Grad School, including Fulbright Study Abroad Fellowships, Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Fellowships, Ford Foundation Predoctoral and Dissertation Fellowships for Minorities, the National Security Education Program, Huckabay Teaching Fellowships, Humanities Dissertation Fellowships, etc.

International and Area Studies Fellowships

Fellowships, including the FLAS, are awarded through the Jackson School of International Studies (JSIS). Please visit the link above for general information about these fellowship. They also provide links to the application forms. You can also download this flyer [add link] for more details.

Specific Fellowships and Programs

Association of International Education, Japan

The objectives of the AIEJ is to contribute to the promotion of international exchanges and friendship between Japan and other countries by conducting various international exchange projects in line with government policy.

Blakemore Freeman Fellowships for Advanced Asian Language Study

Grants for a year of full-time advanced language study at an institution in Asia.

Chester Fritz Tuition Scholarship

Grants to students writing dissertations on any aspect of China studies. Administered through the Jackson School.

Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange

Research grants, grants for scholars (CCK Distinguished Fellowships, CCK Scholar Grants, CCK Junior Scholar Grants), conference/seminar/workshop grants, publication subsidies, doctoral fellowships, dissertation fellowships for ROC students abroad, travel grants and visiting fellowships.

Comprehensive Guide for Study in Japan

Produced and operated by the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, this site provides comprehensive information regarding studying in Japan.

Cross Cultural Institute Graduate Fellowships Program

Funds qualified graduate students for one year of research or study in Japan.

David L. Boren Graduate Fellowships

Fellowships provide support for overseas or domestic study, or a combination of both.

David L. Boren Undergraduate Scholarships

Scholarships provide support for the study of geographic areas, languages and fields of study deemed critical to U.S. national security.


The Fulbright Program offers a variety of grant opportunities, including comprehensive Fulbright grants and Fulbright travel grants.  Additional grants are available on a country-by-country basis, including opportunities in teaching and business.


The Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Fellowship Program provides opportunities for graduate students to engage in full-time dissertation research abroad in modern foreign languages and area studies.

Huckabay Teaching Fellowships at the University of Washington

The Huckabay Teaching Fellowships were created in 1995 by an endowment from University of Washington alumni Durward and Susan Huckabay. Each year, nine graduate students from across the campus are selected by an interdisciplinary faculty committee to receive these one-quarter awards.

Japan Foundation

The Japan Foundation sponsors a variety of grant programs relating to the exchange of persons, support for Japanese studies and Japanese-language instruction, exchanges in the arts, and assistance for media-related projects such as publications, translation, and film or video production.

Mellon Dissertation Fellowships (AAR)

Support for dissertation research in humanities using sources in the original language.

Muktabodha Indological Research Institute Graduate Student Research

Fellowships in Hindu Studies.

National Taiwan University Exchange Fellowship

For advanced graduate students who are fluent or near-fluent in Chinese. Provides tuition waiver, stipend, and dormitory accommodations at National Taiwan University.

Walter Chapin Simpson Center for the Humanities

The Walter Chapin Simpson Center for the Humanities provides various types of support to foster innovative cross-disciplinary research in the humanities and to stimulate exchange and debate on cultural and intellectual issues.