Mon 3:30 - 4:30 PM, Wed 10 - 11 AM
Ph.D. Chinese Language, University of California, Berkeley, 1998
M.A. East Asian Languages, University of California, Berkeley, 1992
A.B. Mathematics, Harvard College, 1988
Current Research Projects:
- Comparative study of the development of Sinographic (Chinese-character based) writing systems in Asia.
- History of the Northern Min dialects of Fujian Province.
- Handel, Zev. Sinography: The Borrowing and Adaptation of the Chinese Script. Brill. April, 2019. Print.
- Encyclopedia of Chinese Language and Linguistics, 5 volumes, ed. by Rint Sybesma, Wolfgang Behr, Yueguo Gu, Zev Handel, C.-T. James Huang, and James Myers. Leiden: Brill. 2017.
- Zev Handel. Old Chinese Medials and their Sino-Tibetan Origins: A Comparative Study. Monograph series, Linguistics Institute, Academia Sinica, 2010.
- Zev Handel. "Reflections on the historical origin of the Northern Min softened initials." Language and Linguistics 10.1 (2009): 1-16.
- Zev Handel. "Preliminary remarks on the influence of linguistic typology on Asian sinography." SCRIPTA 1.1 (2009).
- Zev Handel. "What is Sino-Tibetan? Snapshot of a field and a language family in flux." Language and Linguistics Compass 2.3 (2008): 4222-441.
- Zev Handel. "Notes on Old Chinese bilabial dissimilation, with reference to yì 邑 ‘city’ and yōng 邕 ‘moat’." Linguistic studies in Chinese and neighboring languages: Festschrift in honor of Professor Pang-Hsin Ting on his 70th birthday, ed. Dah-an Ho et al.. Taipei: Institute of Linguistics, Academia Sinica, 2007. 1013-1033.
- Zev Handel. "The *-i-/*-ji- distinction in the Old Chinese reconstruction system of Li Fang-kuei." Journal of Chinese Linguistics 32.2 (2004): 179-199.
- Zev Handel. "Methodological considerations in the application of Tibeto-Burman comparison to the reconstruction of Old Chinese." Studies on Sino-Tibetan languages: papers in honor of Professor Hwang-cherng Gong on his seventieth birthday, ed. Ying-chin Lin et al. Taipei: Institute of Linguistics, Academia Sinica, 2004. 603-620.
- Zev Handel. "Northern Min tone values and the reconstruction of 'softened initials'." Language and Linguistics 4.1 (2003): 47-84.
- Zev Handel. "Rethinking the medials of Old Chinese: Where are the r's?." Cahiers de Linguistique Asie Orientale 31.1 (2002): 3-32.
- Zev Handel. "Proto-Lolo-Burmese velar clusters and the origin of Lisu palatal sibilants." Linguistics of the Tibeto-Burman Area 25.1 (2002): 95-112.