Associate Professor, Associate Chair, Korean Program Coordinator
Ph.D. East Asian Languages and Civilizations, University of Chicago
M.A. Russian Language & Literature, Yonsei University
B.A. Russian Language & Literature, Yonsei University
Current Research Projects:
- The literary and cultural relationship among Korea, Russia, and Japan
- Translation studies
- Seriality in cultural production
- Popular culture and comics
- “Rethinking World Literature through the Relations between Russian and East Asian Literatures.” Cross-Currents: East Asian History and Culture Review . Vol. 7, no. 2 (November 2018): 397-422
- Cho, Heekyoung. "Review of Tong-asia kŭndae chisik kwa pŏnyŏk ŭi chihyŏng (East Asian modern knowledge and the topography of translation)." Trans-Humanities (October 2016): 235-240.
- Cho, Heekyoung. “The Webtoon: A New Form for Graphic Narrative”The Comics Journal, (July 18, 2016), 6,915 words. (http://www.tcj.com/the-webtoon-a-new-form-for-graphic-narrative/)
- Cho, Heekyoung. Translation’s Forgotten History: Russian Literature, Japanese Mediation, and the Formation of Modern Korean Literature, Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Asia Center, 2016.
- Heekyoung Cho. "Book Review of Pak Kyŏng-ni, Land." The Journal of Korean Studies 18:1 University of Washington: 2013.
- Heekyoung Cho. "Imagined, Transcultural, and Colonial Spaces in Print: Newspaper serialization of Translated Novels in Colonial Korea." East Asian Publishing and Society. 2013.
- Heekyoung Cho. "Rewriting Chekohov: Translation, Journalism, and Modern Literature in 1920s Korea." U.S.-Japan Women's Journal 35 (2008): 26-53.
- Cho, Heekyoung. “Transnationality and Coloniality in the Concept of Modern Korean Literature." Journal of Korean Studies. Vol. 22, no. 1 (Spring 2017).
- Cho, Heekyoung. “Translation and Censorship: Colonial Writing and Anti-imperial Imagination of Asia in 1910s Korea.” Spaces of Possibility: In, Between and Beyond Korea and Japan, edited by Andrea Arai and Clark Sorenson (Seattle: University of Washington, 2016), 290-308.
- Heekyoung Cho Publishes Translation’s Forgotten History: Russian Literature, Japanese Mediation, and the Formation of Modern Korean Literature - May 19, 2016
- Prof. Heekyoung Cho Receives NEH and ACLS Fellowships for 2014-15 - April 9, 2014
- Dr. Heekyoung Cho to assume position in Korean program - June 1, 2010