NOTE: The below requirements apply to students who declare the Chinese minor in Winter Quarter 2019 or later. The previous requirements will still apply to those who declared the Chinese minor before Winter Quarter 2019 unless special provision is made. Please contact a departmental advisor if you are interested in this option.
The Department offers a 30 credit undergraduate minor in Chinese. Courses taken for the minor must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0. No more than 15 transfer credits may count toward a Chinese language minor.
I. LANGUAGE COURSES:
Maximum 15 credits of modern Chinese language, which may include CHIN 213, CHIN 301, CHIN 302, CHIN 303, or certain 400-level Chinese courses. First and second-year Chinese courses may not apply to the minor. Students must take at least CHIN 213 or CHIN 303, unless waived because of advanced skills.
- CHIN 212, 213 Second-Year Heritage Chinese (considered equivalent to 3rd-year level)
- CHIN 301, 302, 303 Third-Year Non-Heritage Chinese
- CHIN 411, 412, 413 Fourth-Year Chinese
- CHIN 451, 452, 453 First-Year Classical Chinese
- CHIN 470 Advanced Readings in Modern Chinese
- CHIN 482 Advanced Readings in Modern Chinese
- CHIN 496 Special Studies in Chinese (when the topic is advanced language instruction)
II. LINGUISTICS, LITERATURE, CULTURE, AND/OR CLASSICAL LANGUAGE:
15 credits of classes in Chinese linguistics, literature, culture, and/or classical language. Must include:
- CHIN 342 or CHIN 442 (5 credits)
- CHIN 461 or CHIN 462 (5 credits).
Additional credits in linguistics, literature, culture, and/or classical language may be taken from courses listed below:
- ASIAN 201 Literature and Culture of Ancient and Classical China
- ASIAN 204 Literature and Culture of China from Tradition to Modernity
- ASIAN 207 Special Topics in Literature and Culture of Asia (when China is the topic)
- ASIAN 211 Languages and Cultures of China
- ASIAN 263 Great Works of Asian Literature (when China is the topic)
- CHIN 373 Chinese Poetry
- CHIN 374 Chinese Prose
- CHIN 380 Premodern Chinese Narrative in Translation
- CHIN 381 Literature in Modern China
- CHIN 385 Popular Culture in Twentieth-Century China
- CHIN 443 Structure of Chinese
- CHIN 453 First-Year Classical Chinese
- CHIN 463 History of Chinese Literature
Please note: For the Chinese minor, no credits may be applied for classes outside of the AL&L department.
Last updated in Winter 2019.