William P. and Ruth Gerberding University Professor Emeritus
Ph.D. Sanskrit, University of Pennsylvania, 1975
B.A. Oriental Studies (minor in Religion), Columbia University, 1970
Current Research Projects:
- Director of British Library/University of Washington Early Buddhist Manuscripts Project and general editor of Gandhāran Buddhist Texts series.
- Editions of two biographies of the Buddha in Gāndhārī
- Salomon, Richard. The Buddhist Literature of Ancient Gandhāra: An Introduction with Selected Translations. Somerville, MA: Wisdom Publications, 2018.
- Salomon, Richard and Marino, Joseph. 2014. “Observations on the Deorkothar Inscriptions and Their Significance for the Evaluation of Buddhist Historical Traditions.” Sōka daigaku kokusai bukkyōgaku kōtō kenkyūjo nenpō 創価大学国際仏教学高等研究所年報 Annual Report of The International Research Institute for Advanced Buddhology at Soka University 17: 27-39. Download PDF (651.49 KB)
- Richard G. Salomon. Two Gandhari Manuscripts of the "Songs of Lake Anavatapta" (Anavatapta-gatha). University of Washington Press, 2008.
- Richard G. Salomon. "Writing Systems of the Indo-Aryan Languages." The Indo-Aryan Languages, ed. G. Cardona and D. Jain. London and New York: Routledge, 2003. 67-103.
- Richard G. Salomon. "Gandhari and the Other Indo-Aryan Languages in the Light of Newly-discovered Kharoṣṭhi Manuscripts." The Indo-Aryan Languages, ed. G. Cardona and D. Jain. London and New York: Routledge, 2003. 67-103.
- Richard G. Salomon, Andrew Glass. A Gandhari Version of the Rhinoceros Sutra: British Library Kharoṣṭhi Fragment 5B. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2000.
- Richard G. Salomon, Frank Raymond Allchin, Mark Barnard. Ancient Buddhist Scrolls from Gandhara: The British Library Kharoṣṭhi Fragments. Seattle/London: University of Washington Press/British Library, 1999.
- Richard G. Salomon. Indian Epigraphy. A Guide to the Study of Inscriptions in the Indo-Aryan Languages. New York: Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Richard G. Salomon, Collett Cox, Tim Lenz, Chanida Jantrasrisalai, Qian Lin, Fei Zhao, Michael Skinner. The Early Buddhist Manuscript Project. 1996-.
- Prof. Richard Salomon Named to American Academy of Arts and Sciences - May 3, 2021
- Professor Richard G. Salomon Awarded the 2020 Khyentse Foundation Prize for Outstanding Buddhist Translation - May 29, 2020
- Early Buddhist Manuscript Project featured in National Endowment for the Humanities magazine - November 15, 2019
- New Publication: Professor Richard G. Salomon’s Buddhist Literature of Ancient Gandhāra: An Introduction with Selected Translations - July 13, 2018
- Memory Construction and Emotion in India, Past and Present - November 12, 2017
- Professor Salomon receives Humanities Achievement Award - March 2, 2016
- Richard Salomon Awarded University Professorship - September 25, 2015
- Prof. Richard Salomon Elected President of the American Oriental Society - April 9, 2014
- Faculty News 2010 - June 1, 2010