William P. and Ruth Gerberding University Professor Emeritus
Ph.D. Sanskrit (with Distinction), University of Pennsylvania, 1975
B.A. Oriental Studies (minor in Religion), Columbia University, 1970
Current Research Projects:
- Director of British Library/University of Washington Early Buddhist Manuscripts Project and general editor of Gandhāran Buddhist Texts series.
- Edition of two Gāndhārī versions of the “Songs of Lake Anavatapta.”
- Editions of various Gāndhārī manuscripts in the Schøyen and Senior collections.
- Salomon, Richard. The Buddhist Literature of Ancient Gandhāra: An Introduction with Selected Translations. Somerville, MA: Wisdom Publications, 2018.
- Salomon, Richard and Joseph Marino. 2014. “Observations on the Deorkothar Inscriptions and Their Significance for the Evaluation of Buddhist Historical Traditions.” Sōka daigaku kokusai bukkyōgaku kōtō kenkyūjo nenpō 創価大学国際仏教学高等研究所年報 Annual Report of The International Research Institute for Advanced Buddhology at Soka University 17: 27-39.
- Richard G. Salomon. Two Gandhari Manuscripts of the "Songs of Lake Anavatapta" (Anavatapta-gatha). University of Washington Press, 2008.
- Richard G. Salomon. "Writing Systems of the Indo-Aryan Languages." The Indo-Aryan Languages, ed. G. Cardona and D. Jain. London and New York: Routledge, 2003. 67-103.
- Richard G. Salomon. "Gandhari and the Other Indo-Aryan Languages in the Light of Newly-discovered Kharoṣṭhi Manuscripts." The Indo-Aryan Languages, ed. G. Cardona and D. Jain. London and New York: Routledge, 2003. 67-103.
- Richard G. Salomon, Andrew Glass. A Gandhari Version of the Rhinoceros Sutra: British Library Kharoṣṭhi Fragment 5B. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2000.
- Richard G. Salomon, Frank Raymond Allchin, Mark Barnard. Ancient Buddhist Scrolls from Gandhara: The British Library Kharoṣṭhi Fragments. Seattle/London: University of Washington Press/British Library, 1999.
- Richard G. Salomon. Indian Epigraphy. A Guide to the Study of Inscriptions in the Indo-Aryan Languages. New York: Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Richard G. Salomon, Collett Cox, Tim Lenz, Chanida Jantrasrisalai, Qian Lin, Fei Zhao, Michael Skinner. The Early Buddhist Manuscript Project. 1996-.
Research Advised: Graduate Dissertations
- Skinner, Michael. (2016). Imperial Congruencies and Interregional Connections: The Role of the Kuṣāṇa Empire in Shaping the Early Historic Period. (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of Washington, Seattle.
- Joseph A. Marino, III. (Untitled) An edition and translation of two Gandharan Sutras as part of the Early Buddhist Manuscripts Project. Diss., in progress.
- New Publication: Professor Richard G. Salomon’s Buddhist Literature of Ancient Gandhāra: An Introduction with Selected Translations - July 13, 2018
- Memory Construction and Emotion in India, Past and Present - November 12, 2017
- Professor Salomon receives Humanities Achievement Award - March 2, 2016
- Richard Salomon Awarded University Professorship - September 25, 2015
- Prof. Richard Salomon Elected President of the American Oriental Society - April 9, 2014
- Faculty News 2010 - June 1, 2010