William P. and Ruth Gerberding University Professor Emeritus
Ph.D. Sanskrit (with Distinction), University of Pennsylvania, 1975
B.A. Oriental Studies (minor in Religion), Columbia University, 1970
Current Research Projects:
- Director of British Library/University of Washington Early Buddhist Manuscripts Project and general editor of Gandhāran Buddhist Texts series.
- Edition of two Gāndhārī versions of the “Songs of Lake Anavatapta.”
- Editions of various Gāndhārī manuscripts in the Schøyen and Senior collections.
- Salomon, Richard. The Buddhist Literature of Ancient Gandhāra: An Introduction with Selected Translations. Somerville, MA: Wisdom Publications, 2018.
- Richard G. Salomon. Two Gandhari Manuscripts of the "Songs of Lake Anavatapta" (Anavatapta-gatha). University of Washington Press, 2008.
- Richard G. Salomon. "Writing Systems of the Indo-Aryan Languages." The Indo-Aryan Languages, ed. G. Cardona and D. Jain. London and New York: Routledge, 2003. 67-103.
- Richard G. Salomon. "Gandhari and the Other Indo-Aryan Languages in the Light of Newly-discovered Kharoṣṭhi Manuscripts." The Indo-Aryan Languages, ed. G. Cardona and D. Jain. London and New York: Routledge, 2003. 67-103.
- Richard G. Salomon, Andrew Glass. A Gandhari Version of the Rhinoceros Sutra: British Library Kharoṣṭhi Fragment 5B. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2000.
- Richard G. Salomon, Frank Raymond Allchin, Mark Barnard. Ancient Buddhist Scrolls from Gandhara: The British Library Kharoṣṭhi Fragments. Seattle/London: University of Washington Press/British Library, 1999.
- Richard G. Salomon. Indian Epigraphy. A Guide to the Study of Inscriptions in the Indo-Aryan Languages. New York: Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Richard G. Salomon, Collett Cox, Tim Lenz, Chanida Jantrasrisalai, Qian Lin, Fei Zhao, Michael Skinner. The Early Buddhist Manuscript Project. 1996-.
- New Publication: Professor Richard G. Salomon’s Buddhist Literature of Ancient Gandhāra: An Introduction with Selected Translations - July 13, 2018
- Memory Construction and Emotion in India, Past and Present - November 12, 2017
- Professor Salomon receives Humanities Achievement Award - March 2, 2016
- Richard Salomon Awarded University Professorship - September 25, 2015
- Prof. Richard Salomon Elected President of the American Oriental Society - April 9, 2014
- Faculty News 2010 - June 1, 2010