Professor, Divisional Dean of Humanities
Ph.D. Linguistics, University of Chicago, 1974
M.A. Linguistics, University of Chicago, 1970
B.A. Linguistics, Queens College (CUNY), 1967
- Studies on the linguistic structure and rhetorical structures of early New Indo-Aryan texts.
- Work on aspects of early Sikh scripture.
- Michael Shapiro. "Linguistic and Philological Approaches to Sacred Sikh Literature." In Pashaura Singh and Louis E. Fenech (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Sikh Studies (2014: Oxford University Press, pp. 212-21)
- "Evo suyadi: Essays in Honor of Richard Salomon's 65th Birthday." Bulletin of the Asia Institute New Series/Volume 23
- "Rhetorical Structure and Strategies in Asa ki var." In Gurumala: Papers in honour of Shyam Manohar Pandey, edited by Stefania Cavaliere (Naples: Annali, Università degli Studi di Napoli "L'Orientale"), pp. 243-58.
- Michael C. Shapiro, Harold Schiffman. Language and Society in South Asia. Forus Publications.
- Michael C. Shapiro, Heidi Pauwels, Carol Salomon, Alan W. Entwistle. Studies in Early Modern Indo-Aryan Languages, Literature and Culture. South Asia Books.
- William Boltz, Michael C. Shapiro. Studies in the Historical Phonology of Asian Languages. Current Issues in Linguistic Theory 77. John Benjamins Publishing Company.
Hindi language and literature at all levels
Humanities 201 (Introduction to the Study of Humanities)
- Encyclopedia of Chinese Language and Linguistics - January 17, 2017
- AL&L hosts unprecedented number of lectures - June 1, 2010
- Past-Chair Reflects on Changes in Climate for the Study of Asian Languages - June 1, 2010
- Faculty News 2010 - June 1, 2010
- AL&L marks a century of growth in Asian studies - June 1, 2009
- FROM THE CHAIR: Centennial is a time to reflect - June 1, 2009
- Centennial Celebration - October 1, 2008