Professor, Chinese Program Coordinator
TTh 10:30-11:30 Zoom Meeting ID: 93349394850
Ph.D. East Asian Languages, University of California, Berkeley, 1999
M.A. Chinese Literature, University of California, Berkeley, 1994
B.A. Medieval Studies, Princeton University, 1978
Current Research Projects:
- The Unworthy Scholar from Pingjiang: Xiang Kairan's Martial Arts Fiction and Republican-era xiaoshuo
- Text and image in late Qing and early Republican fiction and print culture
- Hamm, John C. The Unworthy Scholar from Pingjiang. New York City: Columbia University Press, 2019.
- John Christopher Hamm. Paper Swordsmen: Jin Yong and the Modern Chinese Martial Arts Novel. University of Hawaii Press, 2006.
- John Christopher Hamm. "Local Heroes: Guangdong School wuxia Fiction and Hong Kong's Imagining of China." Twentieth-Century China 27.1 (2001): 71-96.
- John Christopher Hamm. "The Marshes of Mount Liang Beyond the Sea: Jin Yong's Early Martial Arts Fiction and Post-War Hong Kong." Modern Chinese Literature and Culture 11.1 (1999): 93-123.
- John Christopher Hamm. "Reading the Swordswoman's Tale: Shisanmei and Ernü yingxiong zhuan." T'oung Pao 84 (1998): 328-355.
- Professor Chris Hamm to teach new 'Humanities First' course in Autumn 2020 - May 7, 2020
- 8th grade Chinese learners from Mercer International Middle School visit the Chinese Program at UW - June 4, 2019
- Professor Chris Hamm's new book, The Unworthy Scholar from Pingjiang has been published by Columbia University Press. - January 11, 2019
- Professor Hamm remarks on the passing of Jin Yong for The New York Times - November 6, 2018
- Faculty News 2010 - June 1, 2010