Associate Professor, Chinese Program Coordinator, Summer Quarter Coordinator,
Ph.D. East Asian Languages, University of California, Berkeley, 1999
M.A. Chinese Literature, University of California, Berkeley, 1994
B.A. Medieval Studies, Princeton University, 1978
Current Research Projects:
- The Unworthy Scholar from Pingjiang: Xiang Kairan's Martial Arts Fiction and Republican-era xiaoshuo
- Text and image in late Qing and early Republican fiction and print culture
- Hamm, John C. The Unworthy Scholar from Pingjiang. New York City: Columbia University Press, 2019.
- John Christopher Hamm. Paper Swordsmen: Jin Yong and the Modern Chinese Martial Arts Novel. University of Hawaii Press, 2006.
- John Christopher Hamm. "Local Heroes: Guangdong School wuxia Fiction and Hong Kong's Imagining of China." Twentieth-Century China 27.1 (2001): 71-96.
- John Christopher Hamm. "The Marshes of Mount Liang Beyond the Sea: Jin Yong's Early Martial Arts Fiction and Post-War Hong Kong." Modern Chinese Literature and Culture 11.1 (1999): 93-123.
- John Christopher Hamm. "Reading the Swordswoman's Tale: Shisanmei and Ernü yingxiong zhuan." T'oung Pao 84 (1998): 328-355.
- 8th grade Chinese learners from Mercer International Middle School visit the Chinese Program at UW - June 4, 2019
- Professor Chris Hamm's new book, The Unworthy Scholar from Pingjiang has been published by Columbia University Press. - January 11, 2019
- Professor Hamm remarks on the passing of Jin Yong for The New York Times - November 6, 2018
- Faculty News 2010 - June 1, 2010