Wednesdays, 2:00-3:00 (in person) or by appointment.
Ph.D. Modern Japanese Literature, University of Washington, 1997
M.A. Modern Japanese Literature, University of Washington, 1993
B.A. Japanese Language (cum laude), University of Washington, 1985
B.A. English Literature (cum laude), University of Washington, 1986
Current Research Projects:
- “Off-Base: The Rhetoric of Peace in Contemporary Okinawan Literature” (book manuscript).
- Double-Exposure: An Anthology of Japanese Fiction and Poetry from Okinawa, co-edited with Steve Rabson.
- Davinder Bhowmik. Writing Okinawa: Narrative Acts of Identity and Resistance. London: Routledge, 2008.
- Davinder Bhowmik. "Views of Ôshiro Tatsuhiro by an American Scholar." Ôshiro Tatsuhiro arubamu, ed. Kuoko Kazuo. Osaka: Bensei Shuppan, 2003.
- Davinder Bhowmik. "Plain Water with a Twist of Lime(stone): Magical Realism in Medoruma Shun." Proceedings of the Midwest Association for Japanese Literary Studies: Japanese Poeticity and Narrativity Revisited, vol. 9 . 2003.
- Davinder Bhowmik. "Kôno Taeko." Modern Japanese Authors, ed. Jay Rubin. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons: 2000. 169-184.
- Davinder Bhowmik. "Officer Ukuma." Translation of Ikemiyagi Sekihô, "Ukuma junsa." Southern Exposure: Modern Japanese Literature from Okinawa, ed. Michael Molasky Steven Rabson. Honolulu: University of Hawai'i Press, 2000. 58-71.
- Davinder Bhowmik. "Temporal Discontinuity in the Atomic Bomb Fiction of Hayashi Kyôko." Ôe and Beyond: Fiction in Contemporary Japan, ed. Philip Gabriel and Stephen Snyder. Honolulu: University of Hawai'i Press, 1999. 58-88.
- Acclaimed Director Hirokazu Koreeda Visits the University of Washington - August 5, 2017
- Davinder Bhowmik Publishes Islands of Protest: Japanese Literature from Okinawa - April 11, 2016
- Faculty News 2010 - June 1, 2010
- Faculty News 2009 - June 1, 2009